September 23rd, 2016MCND News
The latest edition of Merseyside C.N.D. newsletter, October to December 2016, is now available to download!
- National C.N.D. A.G.M. and Policy Conference
- Keep Space for Peace Week
- Remembrance Day, 11th November
- Nukes of Hazard: The Nuclear Bomb Convoys on our Roads
- The Congo, E.D. Morel, West Kirby Library and Uranium
- …and Coming Events
Hosted by Greater Manchester + District C.N.D.
A day of discussions, meetings and workshops about tactics and techniques for peace, anti-nuclear and social justice campaigners.
This event will be open to the public and be an opportunity to share ideas, learn about other campaigns and plan for the year ahead.
The event is completely free. To register please visit Eventbrite
9.00 – 10.00: Registration
10.00 – 10.15: Opening address: Dave Webb, Chair of CND – ‘What’s going on in politics and how does it affect our campaigning?’
10.15 – 11.30: Panel discussion: Campaigning techniques – What works?
- Ben Sellers, who ran the Jeremy for Leader social media campaign: digital organising
- Kat Hobbs, from Campaign Against the Arms Trade: using direct action
- Rebecca Long-Bailey, MP for Salford and Eccles: working with Parliamentarians and political parties
- Aaron Bastani, founder of Novara Media: 21st century media landscape
- Sean Morris, from Nuclear Free Local Authorities: working with local councils and Mayors for Peace
11.30 – 11.45: Refreshments
11.45 – 12.45: Workshops
- Promoting an ethical foreign policy in Labour (with Labour CND)
- Anti-Trident campaigning – the Scottish perspective (with Scottish CND)
- Peace campaigning in the Church (with Christian CND)
12.45 – 13.45: Lunch
Lunch will not be provided but there are many shops and cafes nearby.
13.45 – 14.45: Workshops
- For a nuclear-free future: campaigning at universities and colleges (with Youth & Student CND)
- A new global treaty banning nuclear weapons – how? why? what? when? (with International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons)
- Beyond Nuclear? – towards a safe, secure and renewable energy future (with Greater Manchester & District CND, focusing on nuclear power issues)
14.45 – 15.00: Closing remarks
At 3pm there will be a historical/political tour of Manchester, led by local CND man Steve Roman. A great chance to see the sights and learn about Manchester’s history of radical politics.
NB. All details are provisional and subject to changeTags: conference, manchester, trident
August 11th, 2016MCND News
To remember the victims of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic bombings, we were this year joined by Lord Mayor of Liverpool Roz Gladden at St. John’s Gardens. A big thank you to everyone who came, including John Usher who took the photos below.Tags: Hiroshima, Nagasaki
July 29th, 2016MCND News
To coincide with the Parliamentary vote on Trident replacement, we gathered outside BBC Radio Merseyside to voice our opposition to nuclear weapons.
Unfortunately, the vote didn’t go our way. However, all the facts stack up against Trident – and they continue to do so, irrespective of this shameful and ill-informed vote. CND will continue to campaign against replacement, working with those broad forces across society who wish to see an end to Britain’s possession of weapons of mass destruction.
Images, taken by John Usher, are below